Jun 5, 2015

#Mumbai

In Mumbai for a couple of days. Can't seem to get enough of this city. As I travel in this Uber the Bollywood songs he is playing has completed the image of Mumbai. It's not about the song. It can be any song as long as it is in Hindi. 

I remember I used to travel here from Pune in a shared cab with eyes full of wonder and energy peaking. After all this was the city full of possibilities. A place on the world map and for a 26 year old, it was exciting. In addition to traveling dangerously fast, the shared cab drivers played all the new Bollywood numbers. It captured my imagination about Mumbai. The songs used to come to life.

Hindsight tells me that this is not a surprise as this city is often referred to as the city of dreams. A lot of Indians are known to come to Mumbai to 'make a life' ( that is a phrase that stands for earning money and improving one's lifestyle ). The city itself welcomes all kinds of people offering tons of opportunity. 

"A young man once bought a one way ticket to Mumbai from his hometown and reached in one of the stations. After doing menial jobs in the initial days, he now is a "big man" (Indian slang for someone important) in the city / country. This can be anybody's story. In Mumbai The template is the same. You'll find film stars, businessmen, entrepreneurs, artists, etc., who shares this template of a story.

The city welcomes and treats everyone equally. I did not feel judged here when I stayed for the two years. It runs in its own and doesn't stop for anything. I felt more judged when I participate in an online discussion.

Having moved out of Mumbai, I cherish my travel to this city. If you haven't been here, you should. 

1 comment:

Rafiki said...

Is it the dreams and dreamers who make the city or the city that brings the dreams and dreamers?